Saturday, February 1, 2014

Five-months-to-graduation Anxiety

The evil question: What are your plans after graduation? What field of work are you going in to? What city do you think you will end up in? These were the questions that never seemed to quit flowing my way over Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks. When they were asked, all I heard was "it's growing up time!" I have always been one of those people that went back and forth on what kind of career I wanted to start for myself after leaving Rocky Top. One week I wanted to go to law school, the next own my bakery, the next sell wedding dresses, and after that one be a teacher. This never ending cycle of not making up my mind has put me in this position, not being to answer that dreaded question.


 Being a part of the Volunteer Team, I have discovered my passion for showing hospitality to visitors and my deep love of the world of football. When I answer those questions with "I want to work in collegiate football in the recruiting process," everyone looks at me as if I have lobsters crawling out of my ears. The job market for these positions is very slim and a major game of "it's not what you know, it's who you know." Throughout my time working with the recruiting office, I have met so many influential people that will help propel me in this industry and get me to where I want to be.

You're probably thinking, why football recruiting? Isn't that a man's job? It is a man's world but being able to plan out visits for potential student athletes, and help them fall in love with the school I love so much is truly gratifying. This is all scary to think about because I still feel like I live at home, have to call my parents every night before bed and make sure to obey their rules. It's time to put the big girl panties on, throw on a suit and hit the ground running to answer that dreaded question because it is coming up on me faster than Roadrunner chasing Wiley Coyote.

xoxo-
AC

No comments :

Post a Comment