Saturday, February 8, 2014

Next Episode playing in 14 seconds...13...12...

Has this ever happened to you before? Do you fall under the spell of the "Next Episode" option? Do you look up at the clock and realize that you have been staring at your computer screen for almost 5 hours? Do you ever think to yourself "wow, I may have a Netflix addiction..." Netflix has taken the Internet world by storm with their endless (well somewhat) lists of TV shows, movies, documentaries,   and even some of your childhood favorites that you haven't seen anywhere else except for in VHS box. I consider myself a "Netflix junkie" because not only is my "Recently Watched" record really long, the entries are only separated by a small span of time.

One of the most popular trends I have noticed since being in college is that college kids LOVE Netflix to watch TV shows. Whether the show has ended or still being aired, Netflix is the best way to see for yourself what all of the fuss is about the blue meth (Breaking Bad), doctors being shot at (Grey's Anatomy), or who this Chuck Bass character is (Gossip Girl). I think I can speak for everyone when I say that there is little second-guessing time when an episode ends and you instantly have the option to move on to the next episode. "I'll watch one more..." "Okay just one more..." "Last one..." "Ahh I have to find out what happens next..." More than likely, all 2.9 million Netflix subscribers have said one of those comments at least once in their streaming marathons. Here is a list of the TV shows I have so far fallen victim to the "next episode" option (I recommend every one of them):
[Obviously this list is proof enough why I call myself a Netflix junkie]



When I first started to become a 'Flix junkie, I began to think to myself, "the person who invented this is either an angel sent from God or just someone who stumbled upon a great idea." While I tend to think he falls under both categories, Reed Hastings got the idea for Netflix in 1997 after he was charged a $40 late free from Blockbuster for his rented copy of Apollo 13. About a month ago, Buzzfeed released a video with a list of facts that not a lot of people now about the most popular website for streaming videos. Here's the "Surprising Facts about Netflix": (clink title for link)

1) Netflix is watched more than any cable network in the U.S.
2) The average subscriber streams 87 minutes of Netflix per day, that's 4 episodes of 'Family Guy'
3) [how Reed Hastings got the idea for Netflix]
4) Blockbuster turned down many offers to buy Netflix for as low as $50 million...TOO BAD because Netflix is worth $20 billion (we saw who came out on top in the end)
5) Netflix employees are sworn to never reveal the locations of the DVD warehouses
6) A Netflix DVD inspector inspects and cleans 650 DVDs per hour, that's 5,200 a day!
7) In 2006, Netflix held a $1 million competition to see who could create the best DVD recommendation algorithm. The most difficult movie for the algorithm to recommned...
NAPOLEAN DYNAMITE
8) Netflix instant streaming is the single largest contributor to Intenet traffic. It accounts for almost 1/3 of all Internet traffic in the U.S. 
9) Netflix made a test movie that still exists on the site, it's called 'Example Show'
10) What's the most watched show on Netflix? (my favorite) Breaking Bad

So thank you Reed Hastings for giving us the greatest reason to procrastinate studying or just lay in bed all day. Next time you acess your Netflix account remember to ask yourself this question, am I going to turn into this?...
HAPPY STREAMING Y'ALL


post signature

No comments :

Post a Comment